Sunday, November 18, 2007

A Perfect Day

Today may very well have been, for me, a perfect day. I had a Great Harvest marionberry scone for breakfast with some ginger peach tea in my new Haviland teacup (see picture to the left) and read a little bit before showering and heading off to church. It was a good service and I sat next to my favorite blonde 11-year old. After church I went and practiced for the mixed quartet this evening and then left the church building to discover that it was warm and blustery and unbelievably beautiful. I had a list of things I planned to get done today, but the absolute perfectness of everything, from the weather to the day to how I was feeling (content and happy), sidetracked me and I wound up reading for an hour or so before going for a tramp. I had noticed that there was a goodly breeze shaping up from the way it was squealing around the corners and shaking my eyrie, so I opened my windows before leaving and was promptly overwhelmed by a rush of warm, fresh air, so I opened all the windows and upon opening the door created the most marvelous cross-breeze that actually cleared some of the dead air from the top of my stairwell. Not that you care, but it gets stuffy up there and… well, there's really nothing quite as invigorating as a screaming wind! I left the windows open and headed for the open fields. I live on one of the low ridges that come down from Roxy Ann and although there are several other houses around me and the eyesore that is upper East Medford steadily encroaches (urban sprawl, anyone?), there is still a lot of uninhabited land, especially since the land parcels that are developed tend to be rather small. So I rambled. This is what it looked like:

This is also why I haven't left my valley. Believe me, I have very seriously considered moving away, but there's something immensely comforting about living in the same place all your life. I feel sorry for people who have never been able to really get roots the way I have. My family has lived here for four generations and minus Campmeeting and Guadalajara, I have been here all of my life. I know the rhythms, the history, what it was before the developers got their hands on it, where the mountains are and what's behind them. I definitely know the weather patterns. (By the way, for all you locals, don't forget that we'll be having a storm Thanksgiving weekend, give or take.) Oh yeah, and it's gorgeous here. Anyway, so, yes, I re-connected with my beautiful valley. The wind was divine, the clouds were wonderful, the sun was warm, and there was enough distance between houses that no one noticed me. I discovered that the low buzzing I keep thinking is an airplane is actually the sub-station, but I also discovered that the wind sounds different when it blows through different types of grass, which I had never thought about before. And I found that to the south there are lots of meadows and open spaces, compared to the scrub oaks and brush to the north. I tramped back to the house and ate soup and bread (at about 3. I just wasn't really hungry before.), propped open the door so the playful zephyr could knock some more things off the shelves, read some more, and headed back to church for practice and service. And then after church I got to come home and drink Mexican hot chocolate and read some more! The sermon this morning was about thankfulness and today was one of those days when it seems like everything is just a reminder of how much I have to be thankful for, including all of you guys!! The entire day was like one long sip of the perfect tea after a good bite of the world's most delicious shortbread, and now I get to top it all off by crawling into a deliciously warm bed. I cannot think of a single thing that would have made it better. Marvelous in a different way, yes, but better, no.

P.S. I am attempting to figure out how to get the posts to have a little more horizontal space. I know it has something to do with the HTML but I haven't quite nailed it down yet. Probably because I was a HUMANITIES MAJOR and never bothered to learn COMPUTER LANGUAGES. *mutter mutter hiss*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd comment, but don't know what to say... Though I feel sure that you'll be thrilled to know that I went to bed last night with visions of sock-washing shepherds dancing through my head. Are you satisfied?