Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A little excitement

We had some yesterday in the form of a forest fire that ripped through the area above my house. And I do mean ripped! It was something like 100 degrees with decent winds from the south, so perfect fire conditions. I always thought my parents were the ones in forest fire danger what with being in the middle of the forest and what not, but apparently I was wrong! I did find it kind of funny that the cops told me twice that my street had been evacuated when both times I had just gotten off the phone with my landlord.... who was up at the house. At least I now have a concrete idea of what needs to be grabbed if we have another fire. Something along the lines of: violin, computer, pictures, tax records. And possibly yarn if I have enough time. I would lose all my books though, which would suck. And my spinning wheel.

When I came home tonight I could still see spot fires on the hills and the command center was still set up in the empty parking lot on Lone Pine. And I can still smell the smoke. The burned area actually isn't all that different from the scrub oaks all over the hill. All in all, an interesting experience to have gone through and I'm very thankful that no one was injured and no one lost their home!

2 comments:

Mandy Sue said...

I hear ya, Mindy. As the news was saying who was evacuated I thought about what I would bring with me.

It sounded though, like those evacuated had at least some time to gather their things. So you might have time to get some of your books. :)

Brinicio said...

I haven't checked your blog in awhile and it was so nice to read up on your summer! Thank you so much for taking us in for the trip!