Thursday, October 27, 2005

Jungle of Testosterone

My mettle has recently been tested by my forays into the Physical Education portion of our otherwise beautiful campus. Joel and I have decided that my newest attempt at physical activity to combat my happily sedentary lifestyle should involve the climbing gym here at school. Unfortunately for me, Joel is actually making me stick to it through a variety of taunts and encouragements. This means that on Wednesdays (probably other days of the week, too, as I have discovered they are open other times as well) I must sojourn into that wasteland of health and wellness: the sports complex. I am subjected to football players just getting out of practice, their finely-honed bodies shining with sweat as they strut like teenage chickens back to their cars. Then there are the lanky climbers and runners who glide like well-oiled machines past me, not to mention all the horrifyingly toned women who seem to glance at me in immediate dismissal, probably because I have a bit of a panzita. I feel like a meatball in a bowl full of spaghetti, or perhaps a jiggle of lard next to a lump of lean beef. And so I arrive, the only girl I have seen so far at the gym, to make an utter fool out of myself as I try to spider crawl across the wall since I can't vertical climb too much, due to the lack of a climbing partner. Dylan, the climbing wall guy, says I'll get the hang of it eventually, having watched my pitiful attempts to cling to the wall two feet above the ground. Climbing uses a whole different set of muscles than violin playing ( have you seen my mad elbow muscle?) and believe me, last week, I hurt! But, thanks in large part to the verbal abuse I receive when I call aforementioned Joel to try and whine my way out of climbing, I have gone two times now, and, having paid ten bucks for the rest of the term (ten bucks!!! What a deal!!!) will probably continue to do so. I may not become one of those beautifully cut football players (have I ever mentioned that I have an instant physical reaction to them.... of revulsion? I think it must be left over from high school.) or a lean, lanky runner (*shrieks of laughter* Lean? Lanky? Me????), but perhaps I might manage to leave school with a little less than I came with.

9 comments:

Bryan said...

Good on ya for the exercise. You are, however, beautiful just the way you are. Nothin' wrong with a little extra Mindy. ;)

MsPoppins20 said...

Jungle of testosterone, eh??? That sounds good to me. I know exactley what you are talking about though... the marching band equipment room is in the sports complex. (Yes, we are funded by the athletic department, how cool is that?!) Anyways, I always have to avoid the football players cause they are big and stinky and sweaty. Our guys may not be as big as some of the other Pac-10 teams, but compared to me... yah, big difference!

About feeling inadequate, lets just say that I challenge any of those sporty-types to do a long run-on and then march a pull-out logo W at 120 all the way down the football field. Its different, but its definitely work =)

Mindy said...

A panza is a gut, so panzita means, like.... little tummy, or something like that. The -ita adds kind of an affectionate tone. So I could call you Gordito and it would be a term of affection and not an insult.

It's not so much that feel inade... okay, okay, maybe I do a little, but not too much. I just feel really out of place. I mean, put me in a music building and I'm fine, or in an English class or even in a Chem lab, but in a Phys Ed building.....?

Rational Icthus said...

Physical fitness, yeah...

I used to run 3.6 miles a day back in high school and college. I wasn't feeling to bad about myself back then.

These days, my idea of physical fitness is having a salad with my pizza.

Sad, sad state of affairs. Maybe I'll drink diet today so I feel better...

Mindy said...

Update on the exercise front: with the time change, it's now dark when I would go to the gym, and I have to walk through this dark, kinda scary place, and there are jocks, people, and you know how untrustworthy THEY are, so I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do. Since I've paid my ten bucks, probably just buy some mace...

Pheather said...

I hope the climbing gym is no longer in where the wrestling practices are. I had yoga in there, and boy did it smell. You could tell there was years of sweaty men that had perfumed the gym and the mats withthe nastiest smell to ever be produced (I am somewhat sure that it is similar to the reek that comes from the men's locker room and the bedrooms of teenage boys). It made it really hard to do inverted poses, but anywho, I am sure that the smellis what is causing you to do so poorly in your chosen physical activity. Take my advice and take yoga or tai chi instead....

Mindy said...

I would LOVE to take yoga or tai chi, but they have scheduled hours and probably cost more. *sighs* I really need to find out more about affordable classes like that, nice, low-impact stuff that will still help me center, which is actually quite useful for singing.

The climbing gym is in the racquetball courts, and since it's in its own room, it's not quite as ripe, but there are usually scores of sweaty men running around. I like the climbing, I just have no upper body strength and a different mass distribution than most really good climbers (a nice way of saying I'm top heavy).

Pheather said...

Are you still with your parents, cause RCC has some community education classes for yoga that are cheaper than taking it through SOU and are offered in the evenings... I am glad they moved the climbing gym, cause man, it is pretty pad.

Mindy said...

Hmmm, maybe I'll look into that next term. I'm only with my parents until sometime in February, and then I'm being pushed out of the nest.