Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Just waiting on that diploma...

...which, apparently, I didn't need to get a good job. My current job was garnered from my secretary skills rather than my college education. A bit of angst before the news: I don't want to be a bookkeeper for the rest of my life... I don't think... I want to use my Spanish and Latin American Studies background and do good and travel and help people and travel and see things!!! Am I going to have a comfortable, mediocre life? Are my professors right and I should go to grad school? Argh!!! Where is my direction?!?!?! (How was that for negative and depressing...)

So, my professor emailed me and I got an A- in that Econ class, by the grace of God. This means I am happy, but will still not graduate with honors because I am .01 points away from a 3.79. .01 points!!!!!! And it's my own fault, too. Should have just taken out loans to begin with and I would have been done before now with a 3.9. Wow, I'm really feeling whiny today or something.

Some of you may have picked up on the vibe that I was/am thinking about moving to California. Well, when I got back last week my boss informed me that she intends to raise my pay to $15 an hour and when we get four more clients, she's going to give me medical insurance. Odds of my finding a job in CA that offers me anything remotely close? HA! So for now it looks like I'll be moving in with my brother and we'll just see how things develop. I wonder if the State Department's Latin American Division needs a secretary or a bookkeeper...

And finally, I have seed catalogs. Yes, you all know what this means. Soon, when I know where I'm going to live and all that, you will be receiving updates on the weather (by the way, it's been freezing cold and snowy here) and the state of my garden. The thrills never stop, I tell you what...

8 comments:

Pheather said...

Hey Mindorph, I would give my left ovary to be making $15 an hour, and I graduated 3 years ago....
Congratulations and all that, but I believe you are still Cum Laude, 'cuz I was with my measly 3.59. Don't they still count that as with honors. My memory banks fail me...
If money is no object us in the Non-Profit/helping people world are always looking for people who speak spanish, but you have to let go of any capitalist dreams of prosperity. Keep your eyes open if you wish to "help" others, 'cuz there is plenty of opportunity for spanish speaking folks (damn I regret my years of German).
Take it easy, Pheath

Pheather said...

PS. Your diploma takes about six months to arrive, just so you know.

Mandy Sue said...

Congrats! As for moving to California....*sigh*...Us Medforders would miss you too much!

Stacy said...

Oh but how thrilled I would be to see a little more of Mindy than I do now = )

I am happy for you though Mindy. More money and benis. are always a plus.

Just don't count out Cali. all together, you just never know.....

Anonymous said...

I just found out my grades today, and they confirmed that which I had long suspected. Namely, that your almost-3.79 GPA is undeniabley impressive, if not bordering on the out-and-out dazzlingly clever. Yay you!! Actually, that needs an extra exclaimation point. Or more!!!!!!

LaDonna said...

Okay, Mindy, you haven't posted in nearly a month! What's up w/ that? Now that I'm doing this whole blog thing, you need to post more often.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mindy, how's it going? Hats off on your very impressive GPA! I think a 3.78 still qualifies for CUM LAUDE, as Pheater mentioned.

So you're in the "real" world now... Like the rest of us. A place where rude awakenings await. I graduated in 2003, and the "real world" was unmerciful back then. I'm glad you have a decent-paying job (with medical insurance to boot). Sure beats my 5-month part time stint at Sears!

So Madam, what are you up to now? Still living with Bro.? Perhaps you've found a nest of your own?

Drop me a line when you can. I'll be at campmeeting the second week of July. Hope to see you then!

Rational Icthus said...

Ok, Mindy, if you don't post soon, I'm gonna have to start posting pictures of my garden...