Thursday, April 03, 2008

Blood! Fire! Narcotics! Rubber Chicken Violence!

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it was quite the exciting trip to Mexico for our intrepid heroine! Our first day there I cut my finger with a handsaw, ending a three year safety record and potentially getting a new scar (yay!). That evening, on their way to pick up the last two members of our group from the San Diego airport, two of our peeps had to wait for 25 minutes at the border without moving.... resulting in a vehicle fire that reduced our vehicle number to five. Oh yeah, they got stuck for 25 minutes because of a drug bust at the border, which the narcotics officer who was our leader totally got to scope out. We had a bit of rubber chicken violence involving... well, really incited by a rubber chicken. I had an absolutely wonderful time, it was a great group of people and I am sooo ready to go again! The family we built for had about nine people in it, including children. We built a four room, stucco-walled building, concrete slab for the floor. It was actually in a (by Mexico-border standards) decent neighborhood. I have to admit that I was a little concerned about this trip, since I'd been hearing quite a bit about drug-related violence in Tijuana (haven't heard that much about it since... love American "news services") but we were fine. Oh, the umbrella group we went under was Amor Ministries, so you can check them out if you like. Maybe next year.... who wants to come with me?!?! Coming home to 23 degree temperatures is a bit jarring after upper-70s, but I promise you'll acclimate!

Note: Sorry this is so late in comparison to my return. I've been burning with all sorts of other posts and having this one hanging over my head.... well, y'all know how it goes!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's about TIME you put a new post on here, girl!

It was great to see you the other day. Sometime we need to get together and REALLY chat!

God Bless
Heidi

Anonymous said...

Wait a second... I have checked your blog almost daily, haven't seen a new post, then this one shows up, dated the 3rd. It's the 16th. I'm sure I checked it yesterday. What on earth...?!

Mindy said...

All part of my grand conspiracy.... Actually, the date reflects when I first started the post.

Mandy Sue said...

I was wondering about that too. I knew it hadn't been that long since I checked on your blog. That makes more sense.

Your mention of a Rubber chicken has gotten my attention. What on earth?

Mindy said...

Dad hung a rubber chicken from a pole in one of the "kitchen" tents. It had a really obnoxious "Gaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh" and some of the guys really liked to squeeze it and harass the cooks/anybody else in the campsite. Soooo, there was a "do that one more time and..." kind of comment made, they did it one more time, there was a scuffle... and only one person got her and he was whiny anyway. Great fun had by (almost) all!

Anonymous said...

Aha.

Mindy said...

Hurt. Not her. Duh.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I took that to mean that you were the one who did it one more time. You must admit, it wouldn't be entirely out of character...