Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Garden

I just realized that I never told you guys about my backyard and the Lost Paradise thing! Wow, where has my brain been?! So, I went to dig up the beautiful soil of my little backyard so I could add enriching compost and gently plant my various seedlings and watch them grow to full, glorious adulthood. Behold, I raiséd my shovel, thonkéd it into the living soil and hittethed a rock. But, behold, I despairéd not, movéd rock and thonkéd mine shovel againeth into the groundeth. Only to discover that in the building of my apartment complex they (THEY!! such a beautifully undescriptive word) had laid down a layer of rock and then hidden it under a five-inch layer of dirt that was tantalizingly deep enough to grow grass and weeds, but not anything resembling a garden. However, I prevailed and spent money and now have a container garden made up of fiber pots and sawn-off five gallon buckets. Contents thereof: one eggplant, one zucchini, one crookneck squash, one summer squash, four pepper plants, one lemon cucmber (was four but Campmeeting happened), one pumpkin (which is currently waging war on the air conditioning unit. I don't have the heart to cut it back.), two sickly tomatoes (another one died. I'm not quite sure why I'm growing them since I don't like tomatoes very much.), and a bunch of flowers and stuff.

New paragraph to spare your eyes. My yard is also home to a voracious population of snails and in earlier summer suffered an invasion of earwigs. We survived and now I have fresh vegetables constantly waiting to be eaten. Anyway, I'm hungry and it's that time of day in which one should have tea, so I'm off.

PS I see that my non-posting time seems to have cost me some readers. Sorry guys!!

4 comments:

MsPoppins20 said...

I don't think it was your non-posting time that cost you the readers. My theory is that the readers have died. Why do I say this? Because I have been posting all summer and I, too, seem to not have readers. Oh well... I'll read yours if you read mine! =)

Anonymous said...

How noble!

Mandy Sue said...

Sorry, I feel absolutely terrible as well. It has been a whole month since my last post, but I just added to mine..feel free to check it out.

Oh, and glad to hear your garden survived said infestations. Fresh home-grown vegies are the BEST. In fact I'm cravign some stir-fry now, thanks to you....

LaDonna said...

Fresh grown veggies most definitly are the best. My boss has a garden and is always bringing me fresh lettuce, zucchini, squash and peppers. When I eventually get a place of my own, I am for sure going to have a garden!