Wednesday, October 24, 2007

*choirs of angels singing*

The library has re-opened!!! Hallelujah!! I will get something done while sitting around in my happy, peaceful solitude, rather than go stark, raving mad! For those of you who didn't know, Jackson and Josephine Counties both shut down their libraries in what I have seen noted as the largest closure of its kind in the history of the nation. Lovely, eh? This explains the slow, quiet growth of my personal library. There are various reasons for the closures and I don't wish to go into them right now, but suffice it to say that money was at the bottom of it all. Be that as it may, at 12:30 today, a half hour after the doors opened, I was there, along with quite a few other people. As one of the librarians commented, several of us looked as though we were stocking up in case it closed again. One of the greatest things was that all of the books were on the shelf, meaning that I could take accurate stock of what my library actually has! *happy dance in my chair* I'm so excited!! And I can listen to different music again.... *moment of giddy silence* Oh, I can't tell you what this means to me. *happy sigh*

This re-opening combined with absolutely gorgeous weather is making this quite a magnificent autumn, despite the occasional twinge of melancholy. It's been in the low 70s here for the last couple days and the trees are magnificent. I get to drive through one of the orchards on my way to work and the leaves are all changing at different times, with one block bright red right now and another still green while yet another is starting to yellow. My houseplants are flourishing-ish, although the tree-like plant needs another dish soap bath to rid it of aphids and the sweet woodruff isn't taking to indoor life as well as I had hoped and I'm not sure why. But otherwise we are all thriving, and I have discovered that I am the proud owner of an Angel Wing Fibrous Begonia.

No comments: