Friday, June 20, 2008

But I want to GO!!!

*heavy, heavy sigh* 

I've been planning for months, months, people, to go to the Black Sheep Gathering in Eugene.  It is wonderful, with fabulous people, wonderful products, the best bookstore in the same city and a great drive.  I love Black Sheep.  Really, so much cool stuff it's not even funny, with a cool city to explore and everything.  And I have been planning on going for probably the last six months.  Up until about 9pm this evening, as a matter of fact, when my dad and I calculated how much it would cost me to go, not counting fiber purchases.

$60-70.

In gas alone.

Which isn't much until you realize that the next weekend I'm driving to Portland for a week, coming down for three days, and promptly heading back up for the last weekend of my church Campmeeting, during which time I will not be working and not earning money to pay bills.  And I only have about $600 to cover the gas for those trips (at least $160), my food costs (heaven only knows), bills for the latter half of the month (around $75 to $150, but did I mention Port Angeles, WA, at the end of July?), not to mention any incidentals (Portland has some sweet yarn stores.  And great restaurants.  And bakeries.  And other stores.  Like Powell's.).

So, as much as I desperately want to go, I am going to probably have to face up to the fact that.... I can't afford it.  It's my own fault for mismanaging my finances (therapy is expensive!  Who knew?!) and indulging my need for easy gratification (and this without growing up with television) and expensive food.

But, as my dad said, think how much more yarn I can buy with that money in Portland.

But there won't be Ravelers in Portland.  I mean, not in such concentrated doses.  But I can buy more yarn.  Stupid oil.  Stupid war.  Stupid people, for crying out loud.  As I have said before, why can't we all just get along????  And yes, I do know the answer to that, it was rhetorical.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the spirit of promoting Portland as a lovely city to live and work in... allow me to buy you dinner one night while you're visiting our fair city.

- The Red Headed Guy
hongkongsoup@gmail.com

Mindy said...

When did you become a red head? I would love to have dinner. Evenings are a little iffy with my church schedule, but give me a call this week and we can work it out!

Anonymous said...

Apparently, I was too vague and mysterious... because I've always had red hair. It's a bit rusty in color these days, but still red enough to call myself a red head.

You used to know a red headed guy in college who had dinner dates with you. It has been a while though, hasn't it?

- The Red Headed Guy aka Ross
hongkongsoup@gmail.com

Mindy said...

Oh my goodness!!! Ross!!! My friend Fish up there is always hassling me about moving up there so I assumed it was him! I'm fine with doing dinner but the schedule is a little nuts. Should I just email you?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, shoot me an email with your scheduling requirements and current dining habits.

- The Red Headed Guy aka Ross
hongkongsoup@gmail.com