Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Mountain Man Knitting

World Wide Knit In Public Day was on Saturday an I am here to report my contribution!  I went up to the Little Butte Mountain Man Rendezvous in the lovely woods of southern Oregon to hang out with my dad for pre-Father's Day, and of course, I took my knitting along!  After all, what quasi-historical re-enactment would be complete with knitting?  I'll hopefully get some pictures, but at this point you're going to have to take my word for it.

I joined my dad, uncle and two cousins, older cousin, friend of my uncle, and a friend of my dad for the day and got to shoot a muzzleloader for the first time... and it was so much fun!!!  According to the men I work with, my coolness factor has gone up substantially since they found out I can shoot.  I sucked severely at the trail shoot (since holding up a muzzleloader is a lot harder than holder up a modern rifle) but redeemed myself on the fort shoot, where I had something to rest the barrel of the rifle on and my hand didn't start shaking after a few seconds.  I've always maintained that the ability to shoot is genetic, and events like this usually serve to confirm that, when my family takes awards in every category they enter!  I need to get Dad to let me start practicing so I can take the ladies category....

I met a lovely lady up there with a spinning wheel and we had a good long shop talk and she's going to send me a link to a roving merchant... or a merchant who sells roving.  Yeah.  Anyway, I'm thinking that it might be fun once I'm a little more proficient with the ol' wheel to take it along and get some spinning done.  That way, if we ever graduate to primitive camp (no anachronism allowed) I can knit with appropriate yarn!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know it's really belated, but this is SO COOL!