Monday, April 11, 2005

Doom

The world is going to end!! Which we all knew anyway but I still felt the need to articulate, especially after my sociology class. I'm avoiding work again, this time an annotated bibliography which is just as bad as it sounds.

Happily enough, I have been inspired to chase the elusive butterfly of chamber music yet again by the fabulous performance of the Calder String Quartet (http://www.calderquartet.com/), a wonderfully talented group of young men my age playing professional music. As a Youth Symphony member I got to go to a special presentation and see chamber music as it was originally intended to be performed: close up and personal. It's always a blast to watch performers and I am highly susceptible (as are most people I've talked to about this) to falling in love with them for the duration of their performance (this also applies to some actors, especially theatre actors). So, I and two of my fellow string players here at the U are going to try and get together and work on some music. We've been trying to get a string quartet together but unfortunately cellos are in rather short supply in this area. Ah well, I'd better go and address the drudgery waiting to be done! (Weather report: clear for a day, front blows in, it pours, it clears, rinse and repeat.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will keep eye open for clever charming cellist to send. Postage will be dreadful, but suppose sacrifice worth it for you.

Pheather said...

Hey Min, I want you to know that annotated bibliographies really aren't as bad as you think. If you do a really thorough job, you can really use them in your paper, and they help to really think about your information as well as compare your literature. I swear I thought I would never be saying that when I was doing my Capstone, and I probably will be hit by lightening as I leave the building for all of the complaining I did when I was completing mine. I just thought I would send you a different perspective on the things. I wish you luck and don't envy you in the slightest, but that is why I haven't gone onto grad school.